Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chinese Corn Pudding

I went to Kim Long's market this afternoon to pick up some sesame balls only to find out that they didn't have any.  I was devastated!  It was my understanding that they make sesame balls every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Well, it's Thursday, I'm at Kim Long's to get my sesame balls and now I find out that they didn't make any today. 

All that meant that today was a day to try something new. I decided to try some of Kim Long's Corn pudding.  The owner gave me a few instructions that I half understood on how to prepare it.  I bought my corn pudding and headed for home going straight down Redwood road.



 I followed this cloud all the way home on Redwood.  It was enjoyable.


For this side shot, didn't want to get the old man in the photo but cars were coming and I didn't have any choice.  I'm kind of glad I got him in now.  I think he adds a lot of personality to the photo.


Here's my corn pudding.  It's got a packet of coconut and a cup of some kind of spice.




This is nutmeg with perhaps some other spices.  What came to mind when I smelled it was Szechuan Noodles.


I think the guy told me to mix it all together so I did.


I sprinkled on the coconut and bon appetite.
I have never had corn pudding and that 's interesting because there isn't a whole lot of corny stuff that I haven't had.  I have had corn bread, corn chowder, cream corned, grits (made from corn hominy) and mush ( made from corn meal).  And I'm a pretty corny guy myself.  But this is the first time I have ever had corn pudding.

It was made fresh and it tasted fresh but I was hoping that it would make me forget that I was eating corn pudding....but it didn't.  I could definitely tell the corn was in there.  I think the biggest problem is the thing I've always had for cream style corn.  I loved it when I was a kid.  Whenever my mom asked me to pick a vegetable for dinner, I would always fetch a can of cream style corn.  Over the years, I developed quite a healthy taste for it.   Cream style corn is twice as sweet as corn pudding and I think that's why the corn pudding was only so so for me but not terrible by any means.  I'm giving the corn pudding a C+.   









No comments:

Post a Comment