Thursday, May 23, 2013

Italian Sausage, Beninstich and San Pelligrino's orange soda.

I had lunch this afternoon at Moochies and decided to try something new.  I feasted on their Italian Sausage sub.  The Italian sausage is smothered in Marinara sauce and topped with provolone cheese.


I might have bested a personal record by using the most napkins while eating this Moochies sandwich.   But it's hard to say.  I always end up using a lot of napkins while eating at Moochies.

After eating lunch, I read the City weekly article that is framed on the wall. I've noticed it before when I have sat in the same seat and decided it was time to finally give it a read.

 

Phil Jacobsen speaks of  a recent Carribean cruise with family members, the problems he had with them and the endless food that he had access to.  He was glad to get back home and have a simply dining experience at Moochies.

The article is behind a glass pain and a reflection of a girl is readily noticeable.   She is an employee who was gathering up some trays and happened to get her reflection in my photo. 

I then went over to Whole Foods market to try a few new things.  I opted for a can of orange soda and a German desert called Bienenstich



First, I'll give my take on the Bienenstich. 



 I had previously asked one of the employees about the desert and how to pronounce it.  She couldn't tell me much and she certainly couldn't tell me how to say it.  I knew it was German so I probably didn't need much help with pronouncing it anyway.   But I was curious about it's history.  Luckily, there's Wikipedia.
Bienenstich - or Bee sting cake is a German dessert made of a sweet yeast dough with a baked-on topping of caramelized almonds and filled with a vanilla custard, Buttercream or cream. 
The cake may have earned its name from its honey topping: according to one legend, a bee was attracted to it, and the baker who invented the cake was stung.(Wikipedia) 
 I was a little concerned about the almond.  Sometimes, almond can make something taste more like cyanide than add any flavor to it.   Anyway, I began to dig in. 
 

I wish I had brought out a plastic knife along with my fork.  The honey topping was hard as peanut brittle and a plastic fork break on it.  I was too lazy to walks back in and get a knife so I found a work around.  I poked my fork repeatedly at it like a jackhammer and they was able to break the crust into edible pieces.

The Beninstich was a treat, though a bit pricy.  It was 3.99 for this one slice of Beninstich.  Still, I won't dock it for the price.  Everything at Whole Foods is expensive.  Beninstich gets an A

The orange soda was from a company called San Pellegrino's and it is imported from Italy.  
 

This company has quite a long and impressive history.  It comes from the actual town in Italy called San Pelligrino and it has been bottling it's water for 600 years.  

I liked the little aluminum peel-off top. 



This ensured that there will be no contamination when you put your lips on it. The orange in the soda itself is not artificial and is made from pure orange juice concentrate. 

But here is the problem.  All the naturalness still can't make much of a difference in the way of taste.  To me, it tasted like a normal can of orange soda.  But the price wasn't bad at all - only 99 cents.   I'll give the San Pelligrino orange soda a B -.  

Cloud shots were not easy to come by today.  There were none when I left for lunch.  By evening, there were some clouds to the west but they were, of course, skewed by the sun.  Still I was able to get a few opportune moments.  

Sugarhouse Barnes and Noble

Sugarhouse Whole Foods Market.

I barely managed to get this one snapped.  The sun was covered by the clouds just enough to get a decent shot.  I knew I had to act quickly to capture the  moment before the urbanscape changed.  It only last a few minutes but I got what I wanted.  It was a nice way to end off an adventurous afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment