Monday, June 10, 2013

A visit to FairView

In the afternoon, I went to Fairview to visit the Corner Station.  I've wondered about the Corner Station many times as I've driven by on my way to Mount Pleasant.   Today, it was time to satisfy my curiosity and stop in for a visit.   


 The Corner Station used to be a gas station.  That's obvious.  But I was wondering if the curiosities outside the store where original or if they were imported.   These two curiosities were the Texaco sign and the gas station pump.


After inquiring inside, I learned that both the gasoline pump and the Texaco sign were brought in.  I figured the retro gas pump was not original but I was really hoping the Texaco sign was....but it wasn't.  Apparently, the Corner station used  to be a Sinclair station and this was not too long ago.  After snooping around outside for a bit, it was time to have a look inside. 

There were four kids looking around the store and were the only other customers besides me.  With all the toys, it's no wonder there were four kids in the store and one big kid like me.







There was also a sizable arts and crafts section for the big kids to get their fill.  





A most interesting curiosity was the classic alarm clocks and type writers that were on display.  And they were for sale!




You can tell that the people who did the restoration on the Corner Station put a lot of love and hard work into their project.  They turned and old beat up gas station into a Toyland paradise right in the heart of rural Utah.  The lady tending the till was very helpful in providing information about the store.  She also told me that the people who had done the restoration had recently purchased the old Fairview roller mill and were planning to restore that.  I didn't know anything about the roller mill but got good direction from the clerk lady on how to get there.  It wasn't far from the Corner Store.

On my way to the Fairview roller mill




I would love to have taken a closer look at the Roller Mill but they did have a number of 'no trespassing' signs so I only admired it from a distance.  Exactly what the owners are planning to do with the roller mill is still in the  works.  The Corner Store clerk told me of a few ideas for it, one of which is to convert it into a steak house.  That would definitely be my vote! The restorers have their own blog page on what they are planning to do with the mill.

http://fairviewmill.blogspot.com/


It was a wonderful afternoon of exploration in Fairview Utah.  I headed back to Mount Pleasant with plenty of great photos.  The skies were impressive on my drive back to Mount Pleasant. I couldn't help it.  I had to post some of them.  








No comments:

Post a Comment