Friday, June 21, 2013

Leg 1 of the Manti Trip

I'm starting a long weekend trip to see the Manti pageant and to do some fishing down in Sanpete county with Dale.  I'm really looking forward to this trip. 

Eastbound on 106th South.



State street in American Fork

Passing through American Fork, I noticed this big to do on the side of the road. And, with the exception of one guy, everyone else in this long line were women. I couldn't help it. I had to pull over and find out what the big attraction was.

It turns out, it was a swimsuit sale. And they were only letting in five people at a time. I couldn't understand what the big deal was with swimsuits but a lady in line explained it all to me. Women's swimsuit are regularly 80$. They were on sale in the tent for 20$.

I was still befuddled. 20 bucks is about what I would expect to pay for a pair of Walmart swimming trunks and I'd think nothing more of it. But to these ladies, this was the deal of the century.  A friend on Facebook explained that these were designer swimsuits they're selling and they are pretty expensive. 





For lunch, I had a very quick stop at the Purple Turtle in Pleasant Grove.  I've driven by the Purple Turtle a million times but this was the first time I have ever eaten the iconic Utah valley restaurant.


I ordered their Turtle Deluxe with a side of onion rings.





Turtle Deluxe $4.49
1/4 lb burger with Swiss cheese and pastrami

It looks pretty yummy, doesn't it?  Yeah, it was okay.   I've gotta say that the Styrofoam container brought me back to a time to when Big Macs were served in such containers.   The lunch was only average.  Maybe it's because I've been eating such higher quality burgers at these small town outfits.  It might also be because I was in a hurry. 


I met Dale at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo where we both purchased some needed fishing supplies.



Dale bought a fishing rod.  I got some bait.  We both got some lures.  And we were on our way. 



Behold, a pale horse!

I stopped at the Chevron right outside Spanish Fork canyon and got a photo of this nice looking horse in the parking lot. I hope it's a good omen for my Manti Pageant/fishing trip and not a biblical apocalyptic sign of doom.





Here's me and three other cars trailing behind a very slow guy.  The one holding us all up is actually my friend, Dale.  He shouldn't have be driving in front of me anyway but the way he got that way will take some explaining.

At the Hwy 89 turn off, I lost Dale.  Rather than turning, he kept driving right on to Price.  Luckily, he didn't get go far before he realized that he missed the turn off.  Meanwhile, I had turned around to see what had happened to him.  I was almost to the turn off when I saw Dale drive past me.  So I turned around and that's how he came to be the slowpoke leading the pack.  I've got a feeling that our brains were all perfectly synchronized about this situation.    We were all thinking "C'mon, slowpoke!  Get your tail moving!"

We stopped at my moms to drop off some things.  We then both got into my car and headed up the canyon.



 Heading up Fairview canyon, we ran into another slowpoke, only it wasn't Dale this time.  This camper was slowing ever body down. There must have been seven cars trailing behind him, including us. It was practically a caravan.


When he pulled over I thought he was just being courteous. But that wasn't it. He had blown a gasket. You can see the smoke coming out of his front hood. I felt bad for the guy but at least we could all finally pass.

Our first stop was this grassy mountain expanse. 




Dale thought it would be a good place to stop and get photos because of the unusual purple flowers that were in bloom everywhere. 




Our next stop down the road was this look outpoint.



A good thing about taking a friend along is there's someone to take some photos of me.  Dale's not a great photographer.  That is apparent with this photo as he cut off my foot with his precision. I guess it wasn't too bad for a rookie.   


I got a shot of Dale in the clouds, too.




To get the next photos, we took a walk across the road. 


We're pretty sure that this is Fairview lakes.  We'd love to have gone down for a better look.  The problem is that we couldn't figure out how to get down there.








This had been our longest stop of the drive so far.   After 20 minutes or so, we were back on the road again.




  And we are finally approaching one of our lakes.  The one straight ahead is Huntington Reservoir.



We stopped at a spot at the lake on the side of the road that wasn't made for stopping.  But the scenery was too much to resist.



Dale got out of the car and began wandering....and he kept wandering.   He wandered so far, he almost got all the way to the lake.  I finally had to call him back.  



He also stopped and pose for a shot.


We drove down to the east end of the lake where there was some real parking.  We got out and walked across the dam to examine the lake and the surroundings from this end.







Very nice!



On the corner of the shore were two old tree trunks.


Dale"s theory is that the stumps were originally trees growing in the spot were the reservoir is now.  They were probably pulled because the posed a danger to boats on the lake.  Rather than toss them, they put them on the side of the lake for scenery.  That could very well be true or it could be Dale's overactive imagination.  Still a pretty good theory.


Right by the lake was a historical site.  About 20 years ago, an excavation crew stumbled across the skeleton of a wholly mammoth.





Here, the trail leads to the site where they found the mammoth skeleton.


It was only about a two minute walk to the mammoth.

The original excavation site.


A view of the mammoth site from the reservoir





I didn't do a great job of taking this photo but there is some readable info about the site.


It was back on the road for one more destination.  Roosevelt reservoir was only a few miles from Huntington.




Roosevelt Reservoir was another nice looking lake.  The question is which like is going to be our fishing spot?  We couldn't decide at this time but one thing we did decide on was to wait until tomorrow for fishing.  We had had a tiring day and really needed a rest before angling.   

No comments:

Post a Comment