Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Visit to Randy's Records

This afternoon, I payed a visit to one of Salt Lake's oldest record stores, Randy's Records.


I'm sure I've been here before but it's not something I would remember.  Randy's isn't far from where my aunt lives.  My cousin was into all kinds of music and I'm thinking we must have stopped by a few times while I was up for a summer visit.  





Walking into Randy's records is like walking through a time portal back to the late 70's/early 80's.  The store probably doesn't look much different than it 30 years ago.  And the records they sell don't look much different either.  















You don't get any more 70's than an Osmond's album right above Tony Orlando and Dawn.  The resurgence of vinyl has been a real boon for business at Randy's Records.  What was once old and outdated is now what every musical purists wants.






Randy's Records had this genuine 1970's record player on sale on 275$.  Seeing prices likes this makes one wish they had taken better care of their old Wifi equipment.



The album below is the one that stood out at me the most.  It's Nick Drake's Pink Moon Album.  You may not be able to see the price really well but the sticker says it's 24.99$.  That's quite a lot compared to most other records in the  store that only cost about 5.00$.


Yeah, I'm sure that most reading this are probably wondering who in the world is Nick Drake.  He did not achieve great success during his life and he died at the very young age of 26.  But it wasn't long after his death when people began taking notice of his work and by the 1980's, he had become a legend.  Bands like REM and The Cure cited Nick Drake as one of their major influences.  And the song by Dream Academy, Life in a Northern Town was a dedication to Nick Drake.




No comments:

Post a Comment