Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A South African safari hunt

I went crazy for South Africa today.  I had to just go out and do anything and get anything that reminded me of my old turf.  The first order of business was getting some curry.  I ended up going to My Thai.  Thai curry isn't exactly like the Indian curry that I was so used to in South Africa.  The closest to that that I know of is at Teriyaki Stix and I just didn't feel like Teriyaki Stix. So I settled for My Thai.




I've never had much trouble getting a photo of the places where I eat but My Thai was a bit of a challenge. The front of the place is right on the road.  I had to wait for traffic to pass and then walk almost to the middle of 300 west to get the full front of the store.

I've never been to My Thai but I have had a look at the reviews on urban spoon.  After perusing their menu, I decided to order their Massaman curry.

The following two photos provide my view of the inside of My Thai from where I was sitting. 





Pretty simple in appearance  It looks like the inside of any small time independent restaurant operating out of a strip mall.  I began typing away at my crosswords, waiting for my food to come out.  When it arrived, it looked pretty good.





The curry was excellent.  It was just as good as the curry you'd get at any other Thai place only the atmosphere was laid back.  I'd take a date to My Thai but only if I knew her pretty well and it was understood that we were going to be pretty casual for dinner.

I then needed to go find me some rooibos tea.   I figured the best place to look first would be a health food store.
State street and 2100 south

I-80 at about 700 east


I figured Whole Foods Market was a good place to start.  And it was.  I needed to look no further.  Choice herbal teas had exactly what I needed.



Not only did they have rooibos tea but real South African rooibos tea.  I hit the jackpot!

Along with the Rooibos, I also found another tasty beverage I used to enjoy in South Africa.


Ceres fruit company is like the Dole fruit company of South Africa. I used to drink these Ceres fruit juices all the time when I was there.  I occasionally see them at Whole Foods Market.  They don't have as big a selection as I had in S.A. - only mango and guava.  But that was good enough.  I purchased some rooibos tea, some guava nectar and was on my way.

I merged onto the 201 and followed it almost all the way to Magna.  I had to chase these clouds.  I normally don't get good western photos with the sunset still 2 hours away because of the position of the sun.  But this time, the sun was behind some thick rain clouds and there was a beautiful blue celestial opening right next to it.




I turned around at 5600 West, satisfied with my photos, and headed for home.  I didn't even think of what it would look like going the other way.  It was kind of shocking.



It looked like an alien invasion.  These are not pretty clouds but they are awe inspiring.  In the second photo, there is a plane flying across they sky and coming in for a landing.  It's really small in the photo but it is there.  Can you see it?

I stopped by Anaya's bakery on the way home.  There was a flag waving right outside the store.


It was still flying half mast and was a beautiful site to behold.  A great angle was captured.  I then headed home with my goods and ready for some rooibos tea.




It was nice to see that light red color in my cup again.  I then sat, drank and enjoyed my first cup of rooibos tea in over 20 years.


A pleasant ending to a very adventurous day.  I was almost a happy as Kirk Gibson(seen in the photo behind me) after hitting that World Series game winning home run.






No comments:

Post a Comment