Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jack the Giant Killer and lunch in American Fork.

I had another fun day planned only this time I was heading South instead of East.  I was going to meet my friend, Chris, at Thanksgiving point to see Jack the Giant Slayer.  Chris lives on the farther end of Utah County so Thanksgiving point is a good render-vouz.  I didn't have time to eat lunch....that was fine.  I did have a place in mind to go after the show.  But I did need a snack to tie me over until then.  For that, I headed south.


South On Redwood Road and about 6500 South

Schmidt's Pastry Cottage - An excellent place to go to take care of a snack attack

A Cherry Danish - straight up.

I arrived in Lehi much earlier than planned so I made a quick stop by the Traverse Mountain Outlets.   I just browsed around for a few minutes. 

Traverse Mountain Outlets - South Entrance



             It was a good time killer.  It was getting close to 1:00 so I headed over to the theater.






The attendance was sparse as usual.  That's why we like going on Wednesday afternoon.  We got our tickets and went in to Jack the Giant Slayer. 




It's PG-13 so not exactly for kids as one might think.  But not a bad movie at all, especially considering that it is still the off season for movies.


               After the movie, we had a look at the D-Box demo that they were demoing outside.


D-Box seats are interactive.  In other words, they move in sync with the action of the movie.  I know that have theaters seats like this at Disneyland but I've never seen one in Utah.

The demo machine unfortunately didn't work but we got some info about it from the ticket guy inside.  They have one theater with these seats that occupies the middle section of the theaters.  The seats cost a little more but the added feature could perhaps make it all worth it.

We might try these interactive seats for our next movie which will probably be Oblivion in a few weeks.  What worries me the most is our pop corn.  Chris and I always sit with one seat between us.  We use that seat for our popcorn.  I doubt we will be able to do that in the D-box theater - at least not unless we want to see our pop corn flying up and down in the air and all over the place while we're watching to movie.  We'll have to see how it goes in a few weeks.

After the movie, I was ready for lunch.  But I took a few moments to walk around the parking lot to see what the landscape had to offer.


Clouds moving out from American Fork Canyon





 I had a look at Urban spoon on my smart phone and opted for a new sandwich place called Which Wich in American Fork.  I've noticed it before but only barely.  So I began driving towards American Fork for lunch.

South on State Street head towards Lehi.


Here goes nothing.
                    
  I stopped here and began perusing the menu and was completely lost.


A female employee quickly walked up to me and asked if I this was my first time eating here.  After giving her the affirmative she showed me these paper bags on the wall and explained how it works.




So I'm supposed to pick my sandwich bag and right down exactly what I want on it.  That wasn't exactly music to my ears.   I'm the kind of guy who never knows what to tell the barber when they ask me how I want it.  I just tell them "shorter".   And I've always preferred the sandwich guy asking me if I wanted this, that or whatever.  I was still intrigued non the less so I stood and jotted down something.  One thing I was happy to see was the option to put cheddar cheese on my sandwich.  It seem that cheddar is taboo and sandwich places only because it's the most common cheese in American refrigerators.  The reason is because it is one of the best sandwich cheeses around.  I had no hesitation in putting down cheese as my preferred choice.  Here was the finished product.




This was quite a tasty sandwich.  I got the biggest 14 inch sub which was more than I needed.  I was thinking with my stomach as usual.  But I had no trouble finishing it.

The particular Which Wich suffers from a pore location.  It's tucked away in a small corner of the American Fork Strip mall so it's easy to miss.  They have another restaurant in Provo that is selling like hot cakes.  But it's got a good location close to BYU.  This one has to go by word of mouth.  I took a few more photos before leaving.




Daily newspapers available are accessible on the wall for the inquisitive sandwich eater.


The manager interviewing a potential employee.  He got through several interviews while I ate my very late lunch.


I whirly swirly cloud take right outside the restaurant.

A view of the western sky from State Street.  I'm heading home.


I was planning on playing volleyball in the evening and drove a ways to make it happen....and then an incredible disappointment.





They was going to extreme lengths to make sure no one got in the gym until the floor finishing was complete.  They practically barricaded one of the doors.   This is the second time in a month that I showed up somewhere for volleyball and couldn't play because the floor was being refinished. 










No comments:

Post a Comment